This South Surrey family loved the location of their house…but not much else. A disjointed floor plan, small kitchen and dated décor were just some of the challenges that had to be overcome. In just four months, the Curtain Call team orchestrated a complete transformation of this dated domicile.
“The layout of this house prevented the family from living the way they wanted to,” explains Joan Walker of the Curtain Call. “Our mandate was to find a way to open up the house so this family of five could comfortably spend time together – and apart.”
By changing the footprint of the house, Joan and her team solved a number of problems:
- A great room is the heart of the home. This open concept kitchen, dining room and living room has loads of light, thanks to skylights and large windows. The family can cook, eat, entertain and relax in this warm, inviting space.
- The bright, modern kitchen was designed to showcase natural materials and maximize storage. The focal point is a granite island with eye-catching detail. The countertop is quartz. The cherry cabinets feature plenty of glass to provide visual interest among the wood.
- A family room was added to the back of the house. It features comfy couches, a gas fireplace and a fully-wired home theatre system.
- The home’s front entrance was re-designed. A closet was moved to create an open flow to the great room. A fir front door with custom stain and glass provides a natural, warm welcome to the home.
- The laundry room was updated and reconfigured to make more efficient use of space.
- The main floor bathroom was completely updated and reconfigured so a shower could be added.
“The result is stunning – it went way beyond what we thought was possible with an old, small house,” says homeowner Marilyn Butcher. “The great room is incredible. It’s bright and beautiful, and it brings people together. We love everything about our home now.”
The Curtain Call took care of project management and interior design services, including coordinating cabinetry, countertops, fixtures, furniture, wall coverings and paint colours.
“Joan listened to our needs and came up with a creative solution that was different than anything we had thought of,” Marilyn explains. “She has great contacts, so everything came together well. We had heard horror stories about renovations going way over time and budget; we didn’t experience any of that.”
Under that drab exterior, a dream home was just waiting to be revealed.